Duffy's Dilemma Children's Book
See Duffy on WCVB-TV Channel 5
Ask questions about Duffy, book or lower-carb biscotti
See lower-carb biscotti
See all biscotti
You can read "Duffy's Dilemma" for free at these libraries:
- Mansfield Public Library
- Norton Public Library
- Taunton Public Library
- Dighton Public Library
- Middleboro Public Library
- Swansea Public Library
- Fall River Public Library
- Southworth Public Library, Dartmouth, MA
- Brockton Public Library
- Oak Bluff Public Library, Martha's Vinyard
- Vinyard Haven Public Library, Martha's Vinyard
- West Tisbury Free Public Library, Martha's Vinyard
- Chilmark Free Public Library, Martha's Vinyard
- Edgartown Public Library, Martha's Vinyard
Where to buy "Duffy's Dilemma":
- This website or our Bakery in Norton
- Great Woods Glass Art, Norton, MA.
- Wheaton College Bookstore, Norton, MA. 508-285-6941
- Cause to Paws, Brookline, MA. http://causetopaws.com
- Baker Books, Dartmouth, MA
- Annie's Book Stop, Raynham, MA
- Westwind Bookshop, Duxbury, MA
Duffy Past Visits & Storytimes:
Duffy is available for visits and storytimes. Please call Mary Montione at 508-285-4777
- Wheaton College, Old Town Hall Bookstore, 2/17/10
- Norton Public Library, 3/22/10
- ADA Step Out Walk, Boston, MA. 10/09
- Mansfield Public Library, Storytime, 11/09
- Celebration of Animals, Mansfield Animal Shelter,Mansfield, MA. 9/09
- American Diabetes Association(ADA)Youth Group newsletter shows Duffy, storytime and learning to bake biscotti treats. "Prepping and planning is key."
See ADA Newsletter
- "Duffy's Dilemma" was the inspiration behind Montione's newest low carb biscotti.
See Low Carb biscotti
- Montione's Biscotti Finds New Home -- Bakery Owner also pens children's book about diabetes
See press release
- A portion of book profits are donated to charity.
Duffy in Boston. Owner, Mary Montione, her children and Duffy walked at the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Step Out Walk in Boston on October 24. They walked as part of "Haley's Carb Counting Court" team in support of finding a cure for diabetes. The team is pictured above on Boston Common!
About the Book. Duffy is a fun loving four year old dog who just learned she is diabetic. But that does not stop her from coping with the change that lie before her. She had a life before diabetes, and she is determined to have a good life with diabetes. Duffy narrates her story, telling how she and her family supported each other and solved each dilemma to get life under control and back on track.
"Duffy's Dilemma" is based on a family's true event. It is inspirational, a learning tool and a great dog story. Stunning illustrations showcase Duffy along with family and friends as she talks about her diabetes and everything she loves in life. Sweet and reassuring, it shows that Duffy is more than her diabetes. She eats, sleeps, plays and gets into trouble like any other dog. You will learn. You will smile. You will be comforted by mans best friend as Duffy shares her understanding and triumphantly discovers that she can still do most anything including living a healthy happy dog life.
Duffy Today. Duffy is now 7-1/2 years old and has managed her diabetes for four years (since 2008) while living happy and healthy with her family in Massachusetts. She loves to play with family and friends, eat, sleep and make visits about her book!
Author. Mary Montione was inspired to write this story by both her children and Duffy. She hopes to increase awareness and understanding of diabetes as managable, allowing people and pets to live healthy and happy lives. By trade, Montione started and continues to operate Montione's Bakery. Her experience with Duffy lead her to introduce low carb biscotti. She plans to write more about Duffy's everyday adventures.
Illustrator. David Pimental, has been a designer, illustrator and artist in Massachusetts for over forty years. He photographed Duffy and her family then brilliantly illustrated each page. His experience with family and friends who were diabetic, along with a love for animals inspired him to illustrate "Duffy's Dilemma".
Publisher: While searching for a publisher, Montione self-published "Duffy's Dilemma". She and her children were excited about immediately sharing Duffy in her lively youth as a testimonial to life.
Number of Pages: 34
Ages: 3 years and up for anyone who wants to share or learn about diabetes. Those who love dogs can easily be absorbed into the book with its realistic illustrations. An adult can read it to younger children, learning about diabetes on a simple level while being entertained by the illustrations.
Genre: children-diabetes and children-dogs.